Friday, March 11, 2011

Photo Friday! Oh, deer....


As my husband and I plan our garden this year, I start to wonder how destructive these guys will be this season. I captured this buck right outside our window one day last summer. He had 2 does with him, and they ate our rose bushes directly outside our window. No fear, I tell you... we came home from vacation to find all of our tomatoes lopped off, our lettuce chewed to the nub, and our fruit trees stripped of every inch of new growth. I guess with the severe lack of rain, they had to find moisture somewhere.

I've heard of several methods to keep these guys away, including hanging bars of Irish Spring, sprinkling Milorganite around the garden (read: recycled sewage sludge), and using human hair around the garden. Have any of you tried these tricks? I may just have to resort to using fences/cages of some kind.

And don't get me started about the squash bugs. If you don't use commercial pesticides, you had no hope of keeping them out of your garden. We must have had every genetic variation possible devouring our plants last year. They were so bad that I'm not even planning on growing any squash this year... which is a shame, because my husband really loves them! I'll have to get them from the Ashland Farmer's Market!

Are you growing a garden this year? Do you have any thoughts in safely keeping the critters away?

I have plans to host a dessert party tomorrow night and to go see the Picasso exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with an old friend from high school on Sunday. It's been years since we've seen each other, and I'm really looking forward to it! Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment