Monday, March 14, 2011

Manic Monday! Art appreciation....

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
Pablo Picasso

That was my favorite quote from the Picasso exhibit at the VMFA. It was a great exhibit... and I was so glad to experience it with an old friend from high school, Hillary. It was great to reconnect after all these years!

This was one of my favorite pieces from the exhibit. It is called "Three Figures Under a Tree." The computer doesn't do the colors justice! Hillary and I both thought it would look just lovely on my mantle :) What amazed me the most is the range of Picasso's work. He can be very simple... very abstract... very literal... or very wild. He can create paintings, drawings, sculpture, and photos. Some of his work was even delicate. Others, hard to look at. Some definitely above my head. Some I'd love to take home.

While browsing the displays, I became acutely aware of how old my eyes have become. I had to put on my reading glasses so I didn't have to be right on top of the cards to read them. It was pretty crowded, so I either had to feel rude and kind of push through to get to the card or just wear the glasses. Oh, well! I wore the glasses ;)

Hillary was a great art museum companion, because she actually knew about many of the artists whose work was on exhibit, whereas I had never heard of many of them! Warhol, yes. Lichtenstein, no.

If you are ever in the Richmond area, you should definitely check out our art museum! I had no clue that we had such a gem in the middle of our city. And definitely don't miss Picasso if you have any interest. The
show runs through May 15th, and is the only stop on the East Coast of this tour.

In other news this weekend, I am terribly saddened by the events in Japan, as I am sure all of you are. I feel incredibly lucky to live where I do, where earthquakes are not a real threat. I will keep thoughts and prayers on the people affected by this horrible disaster, and watch closely as the nuclear danger continues. I feel almost guilty that while others on the other side of the globe suddenly don't have food, water, or perhaps even some family members, I was enjoying Picasso.

Have a safe week, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Anne. I had such a fab time yesterday. It was so wonderful to catch up with you and to share our passion for culture together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must plan our next trip soon! :)

    ReplyDelete