Monday, May 16, 2011

Manic Monday! Wildlife!

One thing about living outside the city and the 'burbs is the frequency of looking out the window in the morning to sights like this one:


I've become accustomed to surveying the backyard every morning. Usually if I see something it's our neighborhood herd of deer. But on Sunday, I spotted this guy walking from our house to the woods!


He obviously wasn't feeling his best... my husband thinks he had a run-in with a lawnmower. That's the main reason why he let me get this close to get a picture. He was moving OK and had gone into the woods in just a few minutes. This is not the kind of turtle you really want to handle, because snapping turtles are not friendly!

In chicken news, we had 15 eggs in the first week. My daughter collected 5 eggs today! One is teeny tiny! Not bad at all for 4 hens!

We also got our garden partially planted. We had a ton of volunteer tomatoes and squash, so we transplanted a bunch of those to a new garden. We still have one more raised bed to plant. We have a chance for rain all week, which I hope will get the garden off to a nice start!

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment