Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ingredients...





I know what you are thinking. What in the world am I going to do with that collection of stuff? Well, as my husband can attest to, I have a well documented addiction to Origins products... especially their facial care products. I began to wonder if I could make a facial toner that was just as good as what I could buy made with ingredients I could control. So, after some extensive research, I found a recipe that didn't seem too complicated, then adapted it. I've been very happy so far... just made my 4th batch tonight. Each batch lasts about 2 months. Here's the recipe:

4 oz. rosewater
2T witch hazel
1 tsp honey
4 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops rosemary essential oil

Mix together the rosewater and witch hazel. Measure the honey; drop the oils into the honey, and use a toothpick to mix together. Add the honey mixture to the other ingredients. I shake my container prior to each use, and apply as with other toners using a cotton ball.

I mix mine directly in my container, which is a recycled Aveda toner bottle. Colored glass containers work best to preserve the product, and all the home cosmetics books I have read advise against using plastic!

I get rosewater from Whole Foods and the honey and essential oils locally from Lavender Fields Farm, but you can easily purchase any of these items online from Vitacost. Best of all, I save a ton of money!

If you make some for yourself, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. you have water in the picture but not on the ingredient list, what is it for? Thanks, looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, thanks for looking at my blog! You can substitute distilled water for the rosewater, or you can use a combination of the two. Hope you like the recipe!

      Delete